Visitor Centre, Landguard Fort, Felixstowe 2016
Landguard Fort is an English Heritage owned Grade 1 listed building, and scheduled ancient monument. Site of the last opposed seaborne invasion of England in 1667, the current fort was built in the 18th century, and modified in the 19th century with substantial additional 19th-20th century outside batteries. An overall visitor improvement strategy by Mott MacDonald includes Mole Architects’ visitor centre. Partially busied into an existing bank, the round form echoes the disused artillery mounts nearby. A rich warm interior contrasts with the weight of the exterior brick and concrete.